Johnny’s List of Quirky Boston Events: 07/06/06
Also see yesterday’s entry which is also for this week.
This just in — Readercon is this weekend. It’s a major science fiction convention, focusing on novels only. Some serious geeks attend this convention, but the best authors do, too. www.readercon.org, July 7-9.
Also, it’s the Cambridge City Dance Party, July 7th, www.cambridgeartscouncil.org. 7-11pm. Massachusetts Avenue in front of City Hall. 617-349-4380. I went to the website and there’s no information, but I’ve seen the banners so this event is definitely happening.
Henry Thoreau is appearing (a re-enactment actor) at the Old Manse again. Same listing as June. Old Manse, 269 Monument Street, Concord. 12-4pm. “Join Henry Thoreau as he readies the Manse as his gift for newlyweds Nathaniel and Sophia Hawthorne, due to arrive the next day.”
Every year between 400,000 and 700,000 people see the fireworks on the Esplanade on July 4th, and another 8 million people watch it on TV. Did you miss ’em? Here are the best places in New England to see fireworks at other times of the year.
1. Hampton Beach in Hampton, NH, has fireworks at 9:30pm every Wednesday July-August. www.hamptonbeach.org
2. New Year’s Eve features fireworks in many communities, including Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, and “indoor fireworks” at the hockey rink in Portland Maine, proving officially yet again that everyone in Maine is crazy. I of course am not crazy living in Boston where the temperatures are oh at least 5 or 10 degrees warmer than Maine. Boston has a “fireworks display” which I believe means a ground display.
3. Canobie Lake Park, in Salem NH, has fireworks every Saturday at 9:30 in July and August. http://www.canobie.com/events.php
4. Newburyport, MA has fireworks August 5th at 9:15 as part of the Yankee Homecoming Festival, www.yankeehomecoming.com
5. Martha’s Vinyard has fireworks August 18th, following a band concert. A good excuse to visit, rent bicycles, enjoy the beach. www.oakbluffsmv.com
6. Arts Jubilee is a music series taking place throughout the summer in North Conway, NH. They’ll have a Symphony Pops Concert on July 27th followed by fireworks. www.mwvevents.com
7. Finally, several towns (dozens) in New England have fireworks on the weekend of July 4th but not on Independence Day itself.
That ought to holda ya for this summer. 🙂